Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Two Very Different Cabins

J and the kids and I got away for this past weekend to J's parents' cabin in Vernon, AZ (a very small town outside of Show Low.) We had a great time in the cooler temperatures, where we went on lots of nature walks looking for animals and muddy footprints. The kids' highlights were our walk at night with flashlights, petting their great-grandmother's lawn gnomes, the sprinkle donuts they got for breakfast, and getting to see the neighbor's horses. J's and my highlights were all of their cute comments on our walks, needing jackets and hot drinks from Starbuck's, and extended nap times. We also got to visit with great-grandma Noni which was also very special for all of us!

Nature Walk (yes, B is wearing her baby in her jacket like it's a Baby Bjorn)


Checking out/Riding Lawn Gnomes :)


Interestingly enough I had also just finished the book, Uncle Tom's Cabin, which was not at all like our experience this weekend, but happens to be one of the best books I have ever read so I had to mention it. It is a brilliant portrayal of the horrifying nature of slavery, the redemptive side of humanity, and a beautiful challenge to Christians to be what the church was intended to be. I can't believe I haven't read it until now (when my friend, Anna, recommended it), however I don't know if I had read it at an earlier age if it would have meant as much. Nevertheless, I highly recommend it! Here is a glimpse of it...

Upon arriving to a Quaker home where they sheltered fleeing slaves like George, "This indeed was a home - home - a word that George had never yet known a meaning for; and a belief in God and trust in His Providence, began to encircle his heart, as, with a golden cloud of protection and confidence, dark misanthropic, pining, atheistic doubts, and fierce despair, melted away before the light of a living Gospel, breathed in living faces, preached by a thousand unconscious acts of love and good will, which like the cup of cold water given in the name of a disciple, shall never lose their reward." p. 141.

Ah, the beauty of time with family and a good book!

No comments:

Post a Comment