Sunday, December 27, 2009

Best "Nap Drive" Reads of '09


I am afraid that I am about to bid a fond farewell to a close friend the toddlers are quickly outgrowing: naptime. 2009 was the year of the nap drive. At the beginning of this year I quite blissfully discovered that if I drove the kids around for a while I could ultimately park and get up to a 2 hour simultaneous nap out of them, equaling 2 hours of quiet reading time for me. I can't begin to explain the impact this has had on my life, however, I will say one great perk was that it provided me the opportunity to read quite a few incredible books. Because I LOVE when people recommend books to me, I thought I would share my list of favorites by genre (but in no particular order):

Spiritual:
A Million Miles in a Thousand Years - Donald Miller
Prayer: Does it Make a Difference? - Philip Yancey
Mudhouse Sabbath - Lauren Winner
The Screwtape Letters - C.S. Lewis
Same Kind of Different As Me - Ron Hall and Denver Moore

Africa:
There is No Me Without You - Melissa Faye Green
What is the What - Dave Eggers

Racial Discussions:
I'm Chocolate, You're Vanilla - Marguerite Wright
Why Are All of The Black Kids Sitting Together in the Cafeteria? - Beverly Daniel Tatum

Parenting:
Raising Cain - Kindlon and Thompson
Raising Strong Daughters - Mc Minn
How to Talk So Your Kids Will Listen and Listen so Your Kids Will Talk - Faber and Mazlish
Mask of Motherhood - Susan Maushart
Einstein Never Used Flashcards - Golinkoff Ph.D., Hirsh-Pasek Ph.D., and Eyer Ph.D.
The Power of Play - David Elkind

Historical Fiction:
Uncle Tom's Cabin - Harriet Beecher Stowe
The Minister's Wooing - Harriet Beecher Stowe
Lineage of Grace - Francine Rivers
The Centurion's Wife - Oke and Bunn
A Thousand Splendid Suns - Hosseini

Now, it is your turn to post some suggestions for 2010!

No comments:

Post a Comment